At this stage, you are looking at your current school situation – climate, behavior, academics, attendance, etc. – to make decisions about where you want to go and if PBIS is the process you want to adopt. If you do adopt the PBIS process, you will be developing systems and practices and looking at data. You will need to be prepared to commit time and resources to this process.
- Here are some online resources to learn more about PBIS:
- Video: Creating the Culture of Positive Behavior Supports
- PBIS Professional Development Courses offered through AR IDEAS:
- PBIS Overview – Course Code: IAC17033 (1.5 credit hours)
- Preparing for PBIS – Course Code: IAC17034 (1.5 credit hours)
- PBIS OSEP Technical Assistance Center: Getting Started
- You can contact CCE about receiving an overview presentation: (870) 972-2287.
- Once you have all the information you need, present information about PBIS to school staff. Determine, through a survey or vote, if staff are committed to adopting PBIS. If at least 80% agree, continue to the installation phase.
At this stage, you will prepare for implementation. Districts and schools will begin to develop leadership teams. The team(s) will receive training to learn how to develop school-wide systems and practices and how to use data to make decisions. The team will drive the implementation, but it is a collaborative process, with school staff giving input and feedback.
- Click here for District Readiness.
- Click here for School Readiness.
- Contact CCE about receiving training.
- PBIS team members (including administrator) attend Tier I training.
- Team members collaborate with staff to create Tier I systems and practices.
- A data collection method is chosen.
- A PBIS implementation plan is developed; proceed to initial implementation!
At this stage, you will begin to implement school-wide PBIS systems and practices. You will be introducing PBIS to staff, students and families.
At this stage, you will be fully implementing PBIS school-wide, including all settings and classrooms. You will use data to make improvements and strive for fidelity of implementation. You will continue to communicate with and support staff.
- PBIS is expanded so that it is being implemented in all settings and in all classrooms.
- Data are continually used to make decisions and improve. The team will provide appropriate coaching and support to staff.
- The CCE PBIS Resource Center is here to support you at every stage. Our website offers Resources and Tier I Modules and Facilitator Guides.
At this stage, PBIS is being implemented with fidelity, but you continue to make it more efficient and effective and ensure that it is relevant.
- The team continues to work towards making systems and practices more efficient and effective.
- The team will complete regular assessments and surveys to ensure that PBIS systems and practices are relevant.